Police recover 2 firearms in operation Elgeyo Marakwet

locals surrender assault raffles to the authority.

In Summary

• Elgeyo Marakwet residents handed over two AK47 assault riffles to the authority. 

• Koibirir chief Lorem handed the riffles to the General Service Unit Camp of Tot early on Thursday.

Firearms recovered in Turbi.
Firearms recovered in Turbi.
Image: NPS

Some residents of Elgeyo Marakwet on Wednesday surrendered two firearms to the authority in the wake of the ongoing police operation in the area.

Koibirir chief Lorem handed the two AK47 riffles to the General Service Unit Camp of Tot early on Thursday, June 16, 2022.

In a statement, the National Police Service said the residents handed over the riffles following the calls by the authorities urging the residents to cooperate in the ongoing operation to weed out criminals. 

"The first riffle was surrendered by a local from Kisiwel and another one by a resident from Kowow," police said.

Early this month, the government imposed a dusk-to-dawn curfew in the county to pave the way for security agencies to mount a security operation against banditry and deadly conflicts in the area.

Interior Cabinet Secretary Fred Matiang’i announced the launch of a  massive disarmament operation alongside social development interventions to restore order in the area and other parts of the North Rift.

“We are beginning to draw two critical exercises that we want to do which include reorganizing deployment in that area and declaration of a curfew subject to clearance by the National Security Council so that we can have an intensive operation similar to the one we launched in Marsabit,” he said.

And last week, Matiang'i and Inspector General George Natembeya visited the county.

They commended the residents for their positive response and helping the police recover the illegal firearms.


WATCH: The latest videos from the Star