Probe launched into Tuesday’s shooting incident in Mombasa

Two protestors were shot by a businessman along Nyerere Avenue

In Summary
  • Close family members said the man was protecting his restaurant from being vandalised by goons that had infiltrated the peaceful demonstration
  • On Wednesday, Mombasa County Criminal Investigation Officer, James Lelia, said the gun used has been sent to Nairobi for ballistic investigations
A section of protesters in Mombasa set vehicles ablaze during demonstrations on July 2, 2024.
A section of protesters in Mombasa set vehicles ablaze during demonstrations on July 2, 2024.

Investigations into the incident in which a Mombasa businessman opened fire at protestors on Tuesday are still ongoing. 

The accused, who is the owner of Qaffee Point Restaurant, shot and injured two protestors who were among hundreds demonstrating along Nyerere Avenue in Mombasa.

Close family members said the businessman was trying to protect his restaurant from being vandalised by goons that had infiltrated the peaceful demonstration.

On Tuesday evening, the Directorate of Criminal Investigations confirmed that the shooter had been arrested, disarmed and taken into police custody.

He was captured in a video brandishing a pistol and pointing it at the surging crowd of protestors.

The man shot several times before retreating to the Ralli House building, which houses the restaurant, as the crowd pelted him with stones.

 “One of the victims was shot in the abdomen, and another one had a gunshot wound on his buttocks,” a witness, who helped the police to take the victims to hospital, said. 

They were rushed to the Coast General Teaching and Referral Hospital where they are still recuperating.

Following the shooting, the angry protestors razed five vehicles that had been packed outside the Qaffee Point to ashes.

They also destroyed the restaurant, as shops along Nyerere Avenue and Digo Road were vandalised.

Anti-riot police officers were called in to rescue the man, who was inside the building for more than two hours.

On Wednesday, County Criminal Investigation Officer James Lelia said the gun was sent for examination.

“He is yet to be arraigned because we are yet to complete the investigations. The firearm has been sent to Nairobi for ballistic examination. Urban DCI is handling that matter,” Lelia told the Star.

Meanwhile, the Muslim for Human Rights has confirmed that the number of people who have died following the demonstrations in Mombasa has risen to five.

Francis Auma, Muhuri Rapid Response Officer, said the bodies are still lying at the CGTRH morgue.

“Three of the victims had gunshot wounds, one died from inhaling teargas and one died as a result of being attacked by a knife,” Auma said.

Only two victims have been identified; Emmanuel Gigs Tata, a 20-year-old university student who succumbed after inhaling teargas fired by police to disperse a crowd and Joshua Ombati who died from gunshot wounds.

The identities of the other three remain unknown.

Auma said Tuesday’s demonstration was infiltrated by goons who were robbing the peaceful protestors.

He said the failure of police to apprehend criminals who looted shops and caused destruction is unacceptable.

“We are saddened by the police inaction on Tuesday. They were just watching from a distance as the criminals were robbing and vandalising shops within Mombasa.” 

He said they will take decisive action to compel the police to provide security and protect lives during protests.

WATCH: The latest videos from the Star