- He alleged that the Supreme Court’s decision that barred him from contesting the Mombasa governor seat was rushed and influenced by some Azimio top brass.
- Deputy President William Ruto is expected to lead the Kenya Kwanza brigade for a mega rally at the historic Tononoka grounds on Thursday.
Former Nairobi governor Mike Sonko has joined forces with former Mombasa senator Hassan Omar to wrestle the Mombasa governor seat from ODM.
The two led a joint press briefing at the Hustler Center in Mombasa on Monday.
“I want to officially welcome our new partner (Sonko) to our 'Mageuzi Halisi' team. I have faith that through our collaboration we are going to win,” said Omar.
Omar said his relationship with Sonko dates back to when they were first elected as senators in 2013 for Mombasa and Nairobi respectively.
“The Deputy President William Ruto called me to stop my sustained attacks on Sonko, he said he (Sonko) is our ally,” Omar said.
The DP is expected to lead the Kenya Kwanza brigade for a mega rally at the historic Tononoka grounds on Thursday.
The rally was initially scheduled to take place on Friday, but details emerged that the venue had been booked by Azimio for a rally on the same Friday.
"We had to reschedule our rally, let them (Azimio) have the grounds on Friday. I call on all our supporters to turn out in large numbers to listen to our closing statements ahead of the polls," Omar said.
The two vowed to take the ODM party head-on, accusing them of hijacking the county for their selfish interest and their cronies.
Omar alleged that county staff had gone for about three months without salary and were now being threatened and forced to vote for the ODM candidate Mvita MP Abdulswamad Nassir.
“We are also aware that the county owes contractors about Sh8 billion. Immediately we get into office, we shall suspend all contracts for review and ensure the genuine bills are paid,” Omar said.
Omar also put on notice the county finance department alleging there was a plot to pay up illegal bills by some county officials.
He also promised to establish a task force for the housing program alleging that the houses being put up in Buxton, Likoni and other areas were sold to other people at the expense of the initial occupants.
“We shall also return all land possessed illegally by some county officials and their cronies to their rightful owners,” he said.
Sonko said that the fight in Mombasa was not about him, but the people.
He claimed that Azimio people had now paid bloggers to lead an online onslaught against him after he decamped to UDA.
"Azimio should leave me alone, stop threatening me. My supporters and I are now fully behind Omar,” he said.
"I respect President Uhuru and Wiper party leader Kalonzo, I am not here to insult anyone. What we want is a change in Mombasa and Kenya."
Sonko called on the county and regional commissioner to be objective and provide security to all candidates, promising to reveal the names of those sponsoring violence.
This followed increased political violence witnessed in parts of Mombasa, especially Nyali where supporters of the incumbent Mohammed Ali (UDA) clashed with those of Said Abdalla (ODM) leading to several nursing injuries on Sunday.
"No one has a monopoly of violence, we all want peace. The commissioner and RC should not act as Azimio agents," Sonko said.
He alleged that the Supreme Court’s decision that barred him from contesting the Mombasa governor seat was rushed and influenced by some Azimio top brass.
He further refuted claims that he was brought to Mombasa to split votes as he vowed to stay in Mombasa.
"It is not a must for Sonko to be Mombasa governor. I want to tell them that I am not going anywhere, Mombasa is my home and we must have a change," he said