• Police who rushed to the scene could not immediately establish the cause of the fire.
• However, locals believe a candle might have caused the fire.
Four family members were on Friday night burnt to death after their house was razed by a fire at Taru in Kinango subcounty.
The fire claimed the lives of a mother and her three children.
Kwale police confirmed the incident.
According to the report released by police on Saturday, the four family members were identified as Samia Kikoi, 32, Husnein Hussein, 10, Mulhat Hussein, 6, and Ilham Hussein, 1.
Police who rushed to the scene could not immediately establish the cause of the fire.
However, locals believe a candle might have caused the fire.
The father had gone to watch a football match.
“The family might have left the candle burning causing havoc,” said Ali Ruwa, a local.
Efforts by residents to put out the fire and rescue the four proved to be futile.
Locals used water and branches to no avail but the fire was later stopped from spreading.
The bodies were taken to Kinango subcounty mortuary as police launched investigations.
Last week, fire rendered nine families homeless after it razed houses at Kisima Chande in Msambweni subcounty.
Property worth millions was destroyed after a supermarket and restaurant caught fire in Ukunda.