- The county government will be undertaking a vaccination exercise to ensure the viral disease is controlled.
- Governor Irungu Kang’ata said his administration has dispatched a mobile clinic in the area and that medical fees for victims will be waived.
Murang’a County government has banned the sale of meat and milk in the Kahumbu ward for 14 days following an anthrax outbreak.
This is after 180 residents fell ill after consuming meat from a cow that was infected with anthrax.
The owner of the cow claimed that it died from suffocation and that a veterinary officer certified the meat before it was sold to residents.
But the county veterinary officer William King’ori said investigations had revealed the said veterinary officer was a quack, saying there was a high number of individuals claiming to be private veterinaries, and who he said have been offering substandard services to locals.
Anthrax mainly affects animals but human beings can become infected through contact with an infected animal or by inhaling spores.
Its symptoms in humans depend on the route of infection and can range from a skin ulcer with a dark scab, coughing up blood to difficulty breathing.
Infected animals exhibit symptoms such as fever, staggering, spasms, trembling, and dyspnea, with the infected animal dying within 72 hours.
The county administration has also imposed a livestock quarantine in the area in a bid to control the spread of the disease.
King’ori said the county government will be undertaking a vaccination exercise to ensure the viral disease is controlled.
King’ori asked residents to pour milk they get from their cows, adding that local butcheries will remain closed as county officers closely monitor the situation.
Governor Irungu Kang’ata said his administration has dispatched a mobile clinic in the area and that medical fees for victims will be waived.
“The mobile clinic will test and treat anyone who could have come into contact with the contaminated meat,” he said while visiting the area.
He said the veterinarian officer who okayed the meat for consumption was not a county government worker and called for his prosecution.
He cautioned Murang’a residents to avoid uninspected meat, noting that a list of all affected persons will be drawn to guide their assistance.