- The Kenya Revenue Authority created a new app to make it easier for taxpayers to keep up to date with their payments.
- The application is available on Google Play Store for Android phones and USSD service.
The Kenya Revenue Authority created a new app to make it easier for taxpayers to keep up to date with their payments.
The KRA has over the years transformed its processes by adopting various technologies to improve customer experience. KRA has integrated processes and facilitated taxpayers through systems such as iTax, iCMS, Soma Label and others.
Now the tax collector added to its menu a mobile application called M-Service. M-Service is an app created to provide ease of payment and facilitate tax compliance. The app also comes in handy for verification processes such as authenticating a PIN and a Tax Compliance Certificate. The application is available on Google Play Store for Android phones and USSD service. Services available on the application include PIN application; registration for; and payment for Monthly Rental Income and Turnover Tax.
Turnover Tax (TOT) is charged on gross sales of business as per Sec. 12 (C) of the Income Tax Act. It is payable by any resident person whose turnover from the business is more than sh. 1 million and does not exceed or is not expected to exceed sh. 50 million during any year of income. Turnover Tax is charged at the rate of 1% on gross sales. The due date for filing and paying TOT is on the 20th day of the following month.
Monthly Rental Income (MRI) tax is applicable to property owners or landlords with rental income below Kshs. 144,000 or where the rent income is Kshs. 12,000 per month. The due date for filing and paying MRI is on the 20th day of the following month.
How to use KRA M-service to pay your taxes.
- Go toM-Pesa Menu
- Select Lipa Na M-PESA
- Select Pay Bill
- Enter Business no. Paybill Number 572572
- Enter your account number type a valid E-slip number as obtained via iTax
- Enter the exact amount as per the e-slip
- Enter your M-Pesa PIN
- Review payment details and select OK to confirm your M-payment
- M-pesa will send you a text message to confirm a debit on your mobile wallet float
- You will receive a message from KRA informing you that payment has been received
Download the app today from the Google Play Store.