OFF-GRID SOLUTIONS

Affordable solar plan for rural home owners

In Summary

•The Kenya National Electrification Strategy recognizes the key role played by off-grid options, mini-grids and stand-alone solar systems in achieving universal access to electricity for all Kenyans by 2022.

Annete Nafula with her alternative solar energy kit
Annete Nafula with her alternative solar energy kit
Image: COURTESY

With approximately 75 per cent of Kenyans having access to electricity, the remaining 25 per cent represent a gap that needs to be filled to achieve 100 percent electrification.

The Kenya National Electrification Strategy recognizes the key role played by off-grid options, mini-grids and stand-alone solar systems in achieving universal access to electricity for all Kenyans by 2022.

Green Light planet offers a variety of solar solutions available for off-grid families.

Annette Nafula, a shopkeeper in Makima ward, Embu county used to spend a lot of money buying kerosene and candles to run her daily activities.

This however changed after she started using the Sunking solar lamps which provide light and security for her as she runs her business.

“I can now close my business late as it is now well lit during evening hours therefore more secure,” Nafula said.

With the Pay as You Go offer from the solar company, Nafula was able to get three solar lamps, a radio and charger in May 2019.

She payed Sh 260 per week and completed her payment in October the same year.

Lucy Muthoni, a homestead owner in the same area also has also uses the Sunking solar solutions in her home.

Her children are now able to study at night as they now use the solar lamps.

“I pay Sh45 per day to charge my solar battery and I am able to use the light for 24hours,” she said.

She added that despite the ongoing rains, the solar lamps work upto three days if the battery was fully charged.

Customers can pay as low as Sh15 to charge their solar batteries.

The area leaders have not shown any signs of installing electricity in the area.

“The people of Makima used to close their businesses very early due to lack of light but with our solar solutions, business owners can now have longer business hours, “ said James Gumba, SunKing Area Business Manager, Kiritiri.

Access to electricity in Kenya was reported at 63.81 percent in 2017, according to the World Bank collection of development indicators.