•On March 25, President Uhuru Kenyatta announced a raft of measures aimed at containing the spread of Covid-19 which included immediate suspension of all sporting activities.
•Meanwhile, City Stars head coach Sanjin Alagic has delayed his return to the country following the suspension of Sports.
Nairobi City Stars defender Salim ‘Shittu’ Abdalla has expressed disappointment over the suspension of the Football Kenya Federation Premier League.
On March 25, President Uhuru Kenyatta announced a raft of measures aimed at containing the spread of Covid-19 which included immediate suspension of all sporting activities.
Consequently, FKF indefinitely suspended all leagues and competitions and Shitu feels the gains Simba Wa Nairobi had made since the beginning of the season will go down the drain.
Shittu says City Stars were on the right path and looking forward to their match against champions Gor Mahia and insists they will have to start from the bottom once more when the competitions restart.
“We were on the right track with good performances in the weeks before the suspension. We were already preparing mentally and psychologically for our game against Gor Mahia,” Shittu said on the club’s official portal.
“As players, it is the least of what we expected and now we can’t train nor play. We feel lost.”
Meanwhile, City Stars head coach Sanjin Alagic has delayed his return to the country following the suspension of Sports.
The Bosnian had travelled home for a scheduled holiday during the international break after leading City Stars to a 2-2 stalemate against Tusker on March 20 and was to return on March 29.
“But while he was away, sporting activities were suspended indefinitely due to the rise of Covid-19 cases. From the management’s view, there was no point in him returning as the team is now inactive and can’t even train due to the new containment measures. He will be back once the suspension is lifted," said team coordinator Samson Otieno
Speaking from his base in Sarajevo, Sanjin said: “I spoke with the chairman and he told me to stay back until the situation improves. If things change, like if the team can start training, then I will change my ticket and come back immediately.”