Kenyatta cries foul as Ushuru FC fall to Talanta at Toyoyo

Ushuru FC players during a recent SportPesa Premier League match. / FILE
Ushuru FC players during a recent SportPesa Premier League match. / FILE

Ushuru coach Ken Kenyatta expressed displeasure with the match officiation after losing 2-1 to Talanta in a National Super League match at Camp Toyoyo yesterday.

“Our goal was disallowed and even a clear handball denied in the first half. I won’t talk much about the refereeing. We’re focusing on our next match. We’ve discovered our mistakes and we’ll work on that,” Kenyatta said.

The league leaders failed to convert a couple of chances with Talanta’s goalkeeper Joel Bataro saving a million one-on-ones. On his part, Talanta coach Abdalla Juma praised his players for fighting to the end to bag the three points. “I’m only going to make a few changes in our next match due to fatigue,” Juma added.

The first quarter of the match witnessed Edwin Mwaura’s shot fly over the post, seconds before centre referee Edwin Maina gestured play-on, after a reckless tackle by Talanta’s Ronny Katumanga in Ushuru’s box.

The visitors’ forwards of Michael Osundwa and Oscar Mbugua pressed back-to-back but Bataro and his back men cleared the threats. Talanta’s Katumanga was on spot too in the 45th minute, but missed a free header to end the match in a stalemate at halftime. In the click of the second half, Talanta found a breakthrough when Rodgers Omondi netted the first from a rebound. A goal down, coach Kenyatta made a couple of substitutes with Jeremiah Wanjala replacing Oscar Mbugua.

Ushuru attempted counterattacks seeking an equaliser but their defenders lost track again in a set piece that Emmanuel Mogaka completed to score the second.

Talanta will face St Joseph’s Youth next weekend with Ushuru traveling to Kisumu to play Kisumu All Stars. Meanwhile, Thika came from behind to beat Kagemi 2-1. Bonventure Aise

opened the scoring for Kagemi but William Waweru responded with a brace.