K24's Kiswahili news anchor Mwanaisha Chidzuga has called out a local supermarket chain for almost "killing her daughter". The TV siren says she paid them top dollar for the exquisite confectionery shaped like a fairy princess. She took it to her child's school to celebrate the birthday only to find out that it had a bitter taste.
She wrote on her Instagram: "I took the cake to school for my daughter's birthday
and she was happy because of the decorations and the red velvet cake is what she had asked for...I am saying this with a lot of sadness because....in their wisdom or lack of [they] decided to mess up with the taste. The cake instead of being sweet, it was very bitter actually it tasted like quinine. I wonder what they were trying to do with the cake."
She said the bakers from the popular supermarket ruined her daughter's
big day, further revealing that her little one is nursing a sore throat and stomach upsets, which she blames on the cake.
"For God's sake don't you guys taste the cake and the icing sugar before presenting it? What if the mixture turned out to be something poisonous? Kwani mnataka kuniulia watoto? Why mess up my child's birthday? Kama hamtaki kuuza au kupeana service nzuri si mfunge basi badala ya kutufanyia madharau? Now, I have to sort my daughters feelings and also treat a sore throat and stomach upsets she got from eating the cake."
Another customer of the same supermarket chain added: "Sorry about your predicament. They are just poor with customer service. I personally found a pin in a marble cake bought from their store in Langata and all they did was to offer me another one."