NETWORK OUTAGE

Telkom customers to receive free 200MB as compensation, CEO Mugo says

A few hours later, their systems were down again

In Summary

โ€ขOn Wednesday, there was a network outage affecting customers across the country.

โ€ขTelkom confirmed there was a service interruption on their GSM prepaid service.

New Telkom CEO Mugo Kibati. /FILE
New Telkom CEO Mugo Kibati. /FILE

Telkom CEO Mugo Kibati has said that its customers will receive a 200MB bundle compensation for one day.

The compensation was for the network outage that run from Wednesday, January 19, to Thursday the following day, across the country, affecting thousands of customers.

"Dear customer, thank you for your patience and understanding, we worked tirelessly to restore your service last week. We value your partnership, support and confidence to let us provide you with your technology product of choice." the statement read.

A few hours later, customers reported that the services were down again, of which Telkom Confirmed there was a service interruption on their GSM prepaid service and global data.

The company claimed they are working on a network upgrade across the country.