- If you're finding it difficult to cope with the aftermath of the breakup, it's worth considering reaching out to a therapist or counsellor.
- Use your time off social media to focus on yourself.
Going through a breakup during Valentine's Day can be tough, especially in this social media age where everyone is eager to curate their feed to show how perfect their day was.
If you are going through a breakup, you probably feel lonely and the pressure to measure up to those curated feeds can intensify those feelings.
Here are some things you should consider doing if you are navigating a breakup this Valentine's season.
1. Stay off social media - We expect that social media will be flooded with images and videos of romantic gestures and this may draw your attention to the lack of a partner in your life. Staying away from social media will protect you from the constant reminder that you just got heartbroken. Instead, use the time to focus on taking care of yourself.
2. Treat yourself - Whether it's a great meal, a day at the spa, or a gift you've been eyeing, treat yourself to something special. This is a good way to remind yourself that you deserve love and affection even if you're not in a romantic relationship.
3. Get out of the house - If you can, don't stay in the confines of your home. Go out and connect with people, and you will realise that there is still so much life to live.
4. Reach out to friends and family- You might want to spend time with supportive friends and family members who can offer comfort and distraction. Surrounding yourself with loved ones can help alleviate feelings of loneliness.
5. Seek professional support if needed - If you're finding it difficult to cope with the aftermath of the breakup, it's worth considering reaching out to a therapist or counsellor. They possess the expertise and skills to assist you in navigating your emotions and developing healthy coping mechanisms.
Regardless of how you choose to spend your Valentine's Day fresh out of a breakup, it is important to remember that you are deserving of love.