In Summary
  • Two weeks ago, the gang attacked a flower farm worker on his way home and he died a day later.
  • Naivasha OCPD Samuel Waweru says that they were closing in on the leaders.
Crime scene

Residents of Kasarani in Naivasha are living in fear of a killer gang that has killed two residents in the past month and seriously injured scores of others.

The ‘Network Gang’, which has enlisted youths involved in illegal fishing, has been blamed for the rising cases of armed attacks and robberies on the estate that is home to many flower farmworkers.

Two weeks ago, the gang attacked a worker on his way home. He died a day later at Naivasha Subcounty Hospital.

A survivor of one of the attacks, Joe Waweru, described the group as ruthless, adding that residents are in fear of further attacks.

“They are targeting residents heading to their homes in the evening or early in the morning and they have injured many during the robberies,” he said.

Naivasha police division boss Samuel Waweru said they were closing in on the gang, noting that it was only a matter of time before they arrested its members.

“We have identified the suspects behind this group and it’s only a matter of time before we catch up with them,” he said.

Meanwhile, a family in Moi Ndabi is mourning after their 10-year-old son drowned in one of the water pans in the semi-arid area.

The minor, who is said to be mentally unstable, slipped after he strayed from his home, a kilometre away.

Efforts to save his life were unsuccessful after he was declared dead on arrival at a public hospital situated 50km from Naivasha town.

An investigation has been initiated. 

“Initial investigations indicate that the minor slipped and drowned in the pan but we have opened an inquest file as part of our investigations,” police boss Waweru said.

Elder John Muchiri said the water level in the pan had dropped sharply and the child was stuck in the mud. His parents came to learn hours later that he was missing and on checking found him in the pan that is frequented by livestock.

“Screams from the mother attracted members of the public to the scene, but, unfortunately, he had passed on by the time he arrived at the hospital,” he said.

The body was collected and taken to a local mortuary.

WATCH: The latest videos from the Star