- The operation recover the firearms, he said, must be completed before Christmas.
- His remarks came after leaders from the region decried the never-ending insecurity in the region.
Deputy President Rigathi Gachagua on Sunday ordered chiefs and their assistants in Samburu to ensure arms being held illegally are returned or face the sack.
This, is even as he issued a three-week ultimatum to all those in possession of such firearms to surrender before a major operation to flush out criminals operating and terrorising residents in the county begins.
“We have responsibility to protect Kenyans. You, the chief and the assistant you have guns in your area, and you know where they are, go and collect and bring them,” he said.
“As you leave here today, if we hear any gun shots again in your sub location you will go home,” he warned.
The DP said the continued wanton killings of innocent Kenyans by armed thugs must end, citing the recent murder of a teacher in Baragoi by unknown individuals some weeks ago.
The operation to recover the firearms, he said, must be completed before Christmas.
“There will be no gunshots this Christmas, those young men who have the firearms must return them immediately, they have no business owning guns which belong to police and reservists only...I am going to plan today as soon as I arrive in Nairobi, people must enjoy Christmas in peace,” he said.
Gachagua’s remark during a church service cum fundraiser at St Francis Xavier Parish in Baragoi, came after leaders from the region decried the never-ending insecurity in the region.
National Assembly speaker Moses Wetang'ula recently told the government to set up a special unit of security officers in Baragoi.
This, he said, will help them deal with cases of insecurity in Samburu.
Gachagua termed the cattle rustling which has been perpetuated in the area for long as an outdated practice which must stop.
Samburu Deputy Governor Gabriel Leneywesi, Senator Steve Lelegwe, area MP Eli Letipila, Samburu Woman Representative Pauline Lenguris, MPs Ken Aramat (Narok East), Onesmus Ngogoyo (Kajiado North), and Kajiado Senator Seki Lenku among a host of other leaders were present.
Letipila raised concerns over the revenge killings and the alarming rise of insecurity in his constituency.
Last week, the MP sought a statement from the Committee on Administration and Security in Parliament, saying this has continued to paralyse the lives of residents in the area.
Communities in El-Barta, Nyiro, and Ang’ata Nanyokie, he noted, have particularly continued to be affected despite the government designating these areas as disturbed zones.
"Hundreds of lives have been lost, and thousands of livestock stolen, painting a bleak picture of despair among the local populace," Letipila said on the floor of the House.
The legislator also highlighted the recent surge in bandit attacks and cattle rustling that have wreaked havoc in the North Rift region.
He said in just two weeks, three lives had been tragically lost due to revenge killings by unknown assailants.
Those killed include a teacher who was walking home from school, a man who was grazing animals and another one at home.
The trio were gunned down by unknown people.
"This alarming situation persists despite the President's directive to curb insecurity and cattle rustling in the region, accompanied by a government operation ‘Operation maliza uhalifu North Rift,” he added.
The Samburu North lawmaker also asked the Ministry of Interior to explain the status of peace operations in Samburu North, particularly in El-Barta, Nyiro, and Ang’ata Nanyokie wards.
He has further sought an explanation of the reasons for the withdrawal of the Special Operation Group of the Administration Police from Baragoi, Samburu North, despite their effective role in reducing lawlessness.
Letipila also wants to know the plans for their reinstatement to continue security operations, and the measures implemented by the government to arrest the rising cases of revenge killings within Baragoi and bring the culprits to justice.