- Melly on Tuesday said Education Cabinet Secretary Ezekiel Machogu and Kenya National Examination Council CEO David Njengere will appear before the committee.
- He said the ministry will be expected to explain why there was a scenario where most learners in a school had the same mark in one subject.
The National Assembly Committee on Education led by Tinderet MP Julius Melly now wants the Ministry of Education to explain the discrepancies in the 2023 KCPE results that were released last week.
Melly on Tuesday said Education Cabinet Secretary Ezekiel Machogu and Kenya National Examination Council CEO David Njengere will appear before the committee.
"As members of the Committee on Education, we have invited the CS to come before us to give a brief of the cause of the errors and the myriad of mistakes. Knec will come with the minister as well," Melly said.
Melly said he expects the ministry to appear before the committee on Thursday.
He said the ministry will be expected to explain why there was a scenario where most learners in a school had the same mark in one subject.
"And why some students who scored 75 marks, one is graded as an A while the other is graded B- for the same marks? Those are the questions we want to ask," Melly said.
He said members of the committee are ready with questions for the ministry over the discrepancies.
The committee chair was also reminiscent that after the 2022 KCSE results were released last year, the ministry was summoned to explain rife allegations of massive cheating.
"Now they have actually made things even worse. And I want to assure the members of the public that we shall ask those tough questions on your behalf," Melly said.
Melly said the committee wants to make the examination a better institution in the country.
After the release of the 2023 KCPE exams last week Thursday, Machogu said the Form One placement process would start this Monday.
But a petitioner has moved to the court contesting the use of the recently released results for Form One placement.
In the petition filed at the Milimani High Court, Magare Gikenyi, a Nakuru resident, asked for temporary orders suspending the use of the results to place the learners in any public or private schools or use for any other purposes.
The placement began on Monday, November 27 and is expected to go on for two weeks.
The petition named the Kenya Primary School Heads Association (KEPSHA), Kenya Private Schools Association, Kenya Parents Association and the Law Society of Kenya as interested parties.
Gikenyi who is also a consultant trauma and general surgeon claimed that the results are full of errors which will disadvantage the 2023 KCPE candidates.
"The constitution should never allow errors of administrative bodies to affect the rights of students/children, who are the future of this country," the petition reads.
He told the court that a random scrutiny of the results discovered "a nationwide barrage of obvious errors", saying these were systematic errors affecting all candidates.
Gikenyi further told the court that other candidates had extremely low marks which were not consistent with what the candidates had been scoring previously.
He now wants the suspension of the process awaiting the hearing and determination of the application.