Fire out of gas cylinder explosion kills one in Eastleigh

the tragedy on Sunday evening.

In Summary
  • The fire broke out on the rooftop of a three-storey building after a gas cylinder explosion and spread to the adjacent houses.
  • Neighbours rushed to help in putting it off as the fire engines joined in the fight.
Image: FILE

A 13-year-old boy was killed in a fire that was caused by a gas cylinder explosion in Nairobi’s Eastleigh area.

Police and the family of the boy said he was physically challenged and could not escape the tragedy on Sunday evening.

The fire broke out on the rooftop of a three-storey building after a gas cylinder explosion and spread to the adjacent houses.

Neighbours rushed to help in putting it off as the fire engines joined in the fight.

It was after they had contained the fire that they found the remains of the boy in the room.

Property of unknown value was destroyed in the incident.

Police said preliminary findings had shown the fire was caused by a gas cylinder explosion.

A team of experts were Monday expected at the scene to continue with the probe into the incident.

They include those from the Energy and Petroleum Regulatory Authority.

This is the third time such an incident involving a gas cylinder has been reported.

At least four workers were last month injured in a gas cylinder explosion at a hotel in Nairobi.

The explosion happened as the staff there were busy preparing food.

In August this year, at least one woman was killed and three other people were injured in a gas cylinder explosion in Eastleigh, Nairobi.

The middle-aged woman was hit by an object as she escaped from the scene of the explosion at about 4 pm, police said.

The property was destroyed in the incident.

In October this year, a gas cylinder explosion in Shebyoni Village, Kakamega County, killed one man and left his wife in critical condition.

Police say they are investigating the incidents, which they want other players in the industry to pay attention to.

Meanwhile, a 31-year-old man was electrocuted in an incident in Mukuru slums, Nairobi.

The body of Edwin Omae was found in his house after the electrocution.

Police said they suspect he was electrocuted as he connected power to his house.

The body was moved to the mortuary pending autopsy and investigations.

WATCH: The latest videos from the Star