- Kindiki was responding to a question by Kasipul MP Charles Were.
- He had raised concern over the reluctance of the government to reinstate the bodyguards.
Opposition leaders whose bodyguards were withdrawn at the height of the violent mass protests in the country may reapply for reinstatement, Interior Cabinet Secretary Kindiki Kithure has said.
But, Kindiki has clarified that this will only be granted if the particular MPs reassure the police that they will no longer engage in such protests.
“We provide security to everyone in the country. Those affected members, if they have stopped what was happening, they can still talk to us, we will give them security, they are entitled to security,” he said.
Kindiki was responding to a question by Kasipul MP Charles Were who had raised concern over reluctance by the government to reinstate the bodyguards.
Defending the decision, the CS said it was improper to have armed officers “protecting their clients who were encouraging the riots”.
“These are people who are serving in the same agency with police who were containing the protests...you can easily create a very ugly situation so we said all those who were exercising their right of picketing should do so peacefully and unarmed,” he explained.
Were did not however take this lightly interjecting, “Chair, right now I do not have security, is there a riot,” he posed amidst laughter from the members.
According to the legislator, it was regrettable that the government had continued to disregard the matter yet the affected leaders are currently not facing any criminal charges.
“If an MP had been arrested and charged in a court of law due to riots then I agree with your point but here is a case where there is no charge or even attempted arrest,” he stated.
He acknowledged that the country was in serious tension but insisted that in the last two months normalcy had returned hence the need for the leaders to have their security back.
Kindiki was speaking when he appeared before the parliamentary committee on National cohesion and equal opportunity chaired by Mandera West MP Aden Haji Yussuf.
Azimio leader Raila Odinga among other Azimio principals, four governors and over 50 MPs had their security withdrawn two days ahead of the three-day demonstrations called by Raila from July 19 to July 21.
When he appeared before the Senate on August 14, Kindiki remained noncommittal on when the leaders would the aides back only explaining the reason for the withdrawal.
Speaking on July 30 during an event at Alliance High School, Deputy President Rigathi Gachagua on his part said the security detail of Azimio leaders would be reinstated after three months.
"I'm sorry your security was taken away. Your officers were taken to deal with demonstrators. Your officers will be returned to you after three months when we are sure there are no demos," he said.