- Residents suspect that an electric malfunction was the cause of the fire.
- Most of the house owners were not around the area as most were at work.
Fire has razed parts of Mathare Slums in the Moradi area destroying nearly 70 houses on Monday at 11am. https://bit.ly/3Q16yyR
Fire razed parts of Mathare Slums in the Moradi area destroying nearly 70 houses on Monday at 11 am.
According to the residents, they suspect an electric malfunction was the cause of the fire that burnt down one house before spreading to the other houses.
The residents and onlookers tried to put out the fire before the fire department arrived but cited that lack of water in the area hindered them from putting out the fire quickly.
Most of the house owners were not around the area as most were at work and some have not yet been informed of the fire.
There have been no casualties reported yet as the residents try to salvage items that have not been burnt by the fire.
The Kenya Red Cross Action Team (RCAT) arrived at the scene to help any casualties that may have been affected by the fire.
The area chief is working alongside the ward representatives to calculate the number of people who have been rendered homeless.