

Nairobi Governor Johnson Sakaja has
dismissed claims that the county is planning to hand over key functions to the
national government.
In an interview with NTV on
Wednesday, Sakaja said such a move would repeat the “disastrous” experience of
the defunct Nairobi Metropolitan Services (NMS).
He maintained there were no plans to
sign off any county functions to the national government, insisting that his
administration retains full control over Nairobi’s affairs.
“Absolutely not. There are no
functions that are going to be transferred to the national government,” Sakaja
said.
“The last time that happened during
the previous regime, it ended up disastrously.”
He recalled that when the NMS was
created under Article 187 of the Constitution, the agency left behind a pending
bill of Sh16 billion in just two years, despite receiving budget
allocations from both the county and national governments.
“You can imagine that in two years,
NMS left us a pending bill of Sh16 billion. And yet, the County Assembly had
appropriated Sh27 billion to the same entity, and the National Assembly also
appropriated money,” he said.
According to Sakaja, while the NMS
completed some projects such as walkways and health facilities, many remained
unfinished, and several contractors were left unpaid.
“It’s really unfair. People took out
loans to do work, but they were never paid,” he noted.
The governor maintained that any
ongoing discussions with the national government are about collaboration,
not the transfer of power.
“What the city requires is what is
provided for in the Urban Areas and Cities Act. Section 6 talks about
collaboration,” Sakaja said.
“Because Nairobi is also the capital
city, a diplomatic hub, there are areas where collaboration is necessary.”
He explained that the county has
actually taken on more roles than before, citing the school feeding programme
initiated jointly with the Ministry of Education.
“We have done an intergovernmental
agreement to provide meals in schools. That naturally would have been a role of
the national government,” he said.
The governor defended his
administration’s handling of urban services, saying Nairobi’s challenges, such
as waste management, lighting, and cleanliness, require joint efforts with
national agencies, not takeovers.
“The biggest issue had been
manpower. The last time environmental staff were hired was in 1987,” Sakaja
said.
“You’d find in an entire sub-county
maybe four people left, about to retire. We’ve sorted that by hiring 4,000
young people.”
He also pointed to progress in solid
waste management, saying the county has acquired new garbage trucks but still
requires over 100 more.
“The ultimate solution is at the
final disposal site, where we are doing a waste-to-energy project,” he
said.
“That is where we need collaboration
with the national government because it involves power purchase agreements
handled through EPRA and the Ministry of Energy.”
Sakaja added that 60 per cent
of Nairobi’s daily waste is organic, amounting to roughly 3,200 tonnes per
day, and that recycling efforts are ongoing.
He explained that the national
government would play a role in taking the fertilizer produced from recycled
waste.
The governor also addressed issues
of public lighting, saying the county is in talks with the national government
to redirect part of the rural electrification levy in power bills toward
maintaining streetlights in Nairobi.
“When the lights go off, it’s a national security issue,” he said.
“If Nairobians pay for rural
electrification, why shouldn’t part of that go to public lighting?”
Sakaja revealed that the county and
police have formed an anti-vandalism unit to combat the destruction of
public lighting infrastructure, noting that some county officers had been
attacked during night operations.
“There must be collaboration,” he said.
“But the mandate to sort out the city and the responsibility when it
doesn’t work rests with me as the governor.”
The governor stated that any
partnership with the national government must be based on mutual support, not
control.
“Either see me signing or not. There’s no such plan,” Sakaja said.












![[PHOTOS] Ruto present as NIS boss Noordin Haji's son weds](/_next/image?url=https%3A%2F%2Fcdn.radioafrica.digital%2Fimage%2F2025%2F11%2Ff8833a6a-7b6b-4e15-b378-8624f16917f0.jpg&w=3840&q=100)

