Househelp who invited lover for intimacy arraigned after employer's child dies

The househelp is said to have neglected the child as she engaged the lover.

In Summary

• The woman declined the application and told the court that she was readily available to report to the station when needed.

• The man on his part did not object the application and the court granted the order.

Court gavel
Court gavel
Image: FILE

A woman and his alleged lover have been detained for 14 days after a six-month-old child died in the house in which detectives told the court that they were having sexual activity.

The two; Carolyne Auma Akumu and Joseck Ombima were detained by Kibera senior principal magistrate Esther Boke.

This is after police constable Joseph Ngigi filed a miscellaneous application before the court.

The court heard that the woman invited the man into the house after her employers left the house.

“The building had CCTV which I will be relying on during my investigations,  primary investigations show that the second respondent made a visit to the first respondent where they had sex leaving the deceased alone in the bedroom unattended to,” the detective handling the case told the court.

He said that at around 3 pm, Akumu called the mother of the child and told her that the baby had developed unusual body temperatures prompting her to direct her to take her to St Immaculate hospital where he was pronounced dead on arrival.

The court heard that the father of the deceased Camlus Musewe and his wife Dorothy Akoth reported the matter to the police and an OB number 54/1/12/2022 was obtained.

“The two couples came at the station and reported that they had left their home to attend to their daily duties leaving behind their six-month-old baby under the care of Carolyne Auma Akumu,” the court detective narrated.

He told the court that 14 days were enough for him to conclude the investigations.

Carolyne Auma Akumu however objected to the application and told the court that she was in a position to visit the station any time the detective required her to go.

“I can be visiting the police station instead of them detaining me at the station, anytime they want me to go there I will do so,” she told Boke.

Joseck Ombima on his side told the court that he was not objecting to the detective’s applications.

Boke however directed that the suspects be detained until January 15 as the police conclude the investigations.

WATCH: The latest videos from the Star