• Chebukati said that any person who applied to be registered and his or her name or biometric data has not been captured correctly should make a claim to the Registration Officer within the 30 days.
• Chebukati also notified that application for new voter registrations and change in registration of voters in Kenya, and for Diaspora citizens shall be suspended from the Wednesday, May 4 to March 13, 2023.
The Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission (IEBC) has gazetted the names of all Returning Officers (ROs) who will be in charge of the August 9 General Election.
The gazette notice dated April 28 indicated that IEBC chair Wafula Chebukati will be the Returning Officer for the Presidential Election on August 9.
IEBC has named the Constituency Returning Officers and Deputy Constituency Returning Officers in the notice.
Returning Officer for Kenyan citizens residing outside the Country will be Abdidahir Maalim and the Deputy Returning Officer is William Tumaini Kahindi.
"The appointments are for the purpose of the August 9, 2022, General Election exercise," the gazette notice read.
"The Constituency Returning and Deputy Returning Officers shall also be Registration and Registration Assistants for purposes of the verification of the register of voters exercise scheduled to be conducted from May 4, 2022, to June 2, 2022."
Roles of Returning officers
- Announces election results in a designated electoral unit;
- Signs the official results declaration forms;
- Forwards official results to the national tallying centre in the case where electronic transmission system is used;
- Forwards official result declaration form to the national tallying centre;
- Declares the winner in a given electoral unit;
- Signs and issues an official certificate to the winner;
- Is in charge of recruitment, training and deployment of election officials;
- Determines disputed votes.
Here are the names of the ROs: