• The European country's ambassador to East Africa said "Kenya proved to be a dedicated friend of Ukraine".
• "The security of citizens in entire Europe and the future of the world order depends on our joint response," Mr Pravednyk added.
"Kenya proved to be a dedicated friend of Ukraine," the European country's ambassador to the East African nation has said following Russia's invasion.
"We very much appreciate your support in these difficult times," Ambassador Andrii Pravednyk said in a speech in Nairobi during which he called on the international community to:
- "Implement devastating sanctions on Russia now without any delay"
- "Fully isolate Russia by all means in all formats"
- "Provide Ukraine with weapons and equipment"
- Give "financial aid and humanitarian assistance".
"The security of citizens in entire Europe and the future of the world order depends on our joint response," Mr Pravednyk added.
Earlier this week Kenya's ambassador to the UN, Martin Kimani, condemned Russia's aggression - seeing in Ukraine's current "situation echoes of our own history" of colonisation and the threat of "new forms of domination and aggression":
If you're gonna listen to any speech about #Ukraine 🇺🇦, let it be this one.— Thomas van Linge (@ThomasVLinge) February 22, 2022
The Kenya ambassador to the UNSC perfectly explains how people across Africa understand Ukraine, and what the Kremlin's acts of aggression mean in our post-colonial world. pic.twitter.com/0gTuAni0DC