SCHOOL'S REOPENING

Sh17.5 billion released to schools ahead of second-term

Headteachers have been warned against sending students away due to school fees.

In Summary

• Education CS said that Sh15.3 billion of the disbursement will go to secondary schools while Sh2.2 billion will be channeled to primary schools.

• At the same time, the CS noted that the implementation of the CBC was on course despite existing court cases.

Education CS Prof George Magoha addressing Nyando Constituency residents on Friday, October 8, 2021.
Education CS Prof George Magoha addressing Nyando Constituency residents on Friday, October 8, 2021.
Image: DICKENS WASONGA

The government has released Sh17.5 billion to schools across the country as capitation for the second term.

Education CS Prof George Magoha said on Friday that Sh15.3 billion of the disbursement will go to secondary schools while Sh2.2 billion will be channelled to primary schools.

Speaking in Kisumu County during the groundbreaking ceremony for the proposed Raila Odinga Secondary School, the CS warned headteachers against sending learners away because of school fees.

“The money has been released to them and no school has any justification to send children home, “ Magoha said

At the same time, the CS noted that the implementation of the CBC was on course despite existing court cases.

Magoha said the ministry’s policy of 100 per cent transition was also on course.

He disclosed that the government plans to build 20,044 more classrooms for grade seven pupils to be ready for use by 2023.

The CS said construction of the classes will be completed by April next year at a cost of Sh16 billion.

“We are on course in regards to 100 per cent transition. CBC is also on course even though the matter is in court. Government must continue to work.”

The minister said the government has so far spent Sh58 billion on CBC implementation, and that Sh8.1 million children have already been enrolled, some of whom will be assessed next year.

He said every school in the country will be required to have a classroom for grade seven by 2023.

“40 per cent of schools have extra classrooms. We will work with the national government administration officers to build classrooms identified,” he said.

Magoha said his wish it leaves a smooth sail on CBC implementation to whoever will replace him at the ministry.

He called upon all contractors and companies doing government-sponsored projects to give back to the community.

“In this regard, I want to appeal to them to focus on schools. It won’t do much harm to help,” he said.

He asked the contractor working on the proposed school to redesign it so that it operates both as a junior and senior secondary school.

Edited by D Tarus