•The fire according to witnesses was caused by a gas cylinder explosion from one of the houses.
•Some of the affected residents have complained of looting.
Several families were on Friday rendered homeless after fire razed their homes at Silanga in Kibera slum, Nairobi.
The fire according to witnesses was caused by a gas cylinder explosion from one of the houses.
No casualties were reported.
The fire was put out by the Nairobi County fire brigade, which arrived at the scene on time.
The brigade's efforts and those of the area residents stopped the fire from spreading further.
A few households managed to save their belongings as others burnt to ashes.
Some of the affected residents have complained of looting.
The fire comes a week after a section of Gikomba market in Nairobi went up in flames, leaving traders counting losses that ran into millions of shillings.
The fire is said to have begun about 30 minutes after midnight, Friday last week at the section along the Molo Line area known to many as Ghorofani.
Edited by CM