•It is alleged the CEO of the Kenya National Commission for Unesco is supposed to retire in June this year but her contract was irregularly extended.
• Activist claims CEO's driver, who has reached retirement age, is paid Sh1 million a year.
The High Court has certified urgent a case in which an activist is seeking removal of the CEO of the Kenya National Commission for Unesco for alleged gross misconduct.
Activist Jeremiah Ocharo wants CEO Evangineline Njoka to be removed from office, citing alleged financial and employment irregularities.
Justice James Makau on Wednesday this week said he was satisfied the case was urgent and would be given priority. The petition is to be served within four days of the court' direction.
The petition for removal will be heard by way of video conferencing and through email and/or WhatsApp.
Ocharo alleges Njoka pays a driver more than Sh1 million a year. He is over the retirement age of 60 and she herself should retire in June but her contract was irregularly extended, he claims.
He claims Njoko paid the driver almost Sh300,000 to attend the Unesco General Conference last year though he had nothing to do "other than sightseeing".
Some of his peers were retired but he has been kept on, Ocharo says.
Through lawyer Danstan Omari, Ocharo argues it’s unlawful for the unskilled driver to earn so much.
“This officer will continue earning over Sh1 million per annum for the next three years yet he holds a non-specialised skill job contrary to the law. This is differential treatment among employees based on ethnicity,” court documents read.
Last month, en employee sued Njoka and the commission for unfair dismissal, though the court had ordered his contract be extended.
Njoko too is older than 60 but she did not disclose it to the board that renewed her contract, Ocharo says. She has headed the commission for seven years and was not hired competitively, he alleges.
“In 2018 without disclosing to the Board that she was due for mandatory retirement upon attainment of 60 years with effect on 3rd June 2020 she was offered another five-year term,” court documents read.
(Edited by V. Graham)