Migori pupil chokes to death for trying to swallow mandazi

Fellow colleagues reported that the deceased could not talk and was gasping for breath.

In Summary

• Attempts to administer first aid and rush him to Migori Referral Hospital failed as he was pronounced dead on arrival.

• Caleb Ombura, Suna Central location chief who is the deceased uncle said the incident was unfortunate and police will launch investigation after a post mortem report.

A class five pupil from Onyalo Primary School has chocked to death after trying to swallow mandazi to hide it from friends.

Josiah Ombura was playing with colleagues during mid-morning break when the incident occurred on Wednesday.

“The deceased was dividing mandazi among colleagues and when more pupils came, he tried to swallow it to prevent him from sharing before it chocked him,” head teacher Dedan Odhiambo said.

Odhiambo said fellow students reported that the deceased could not talk and was gasping for breath.

“He reported to school when he was jovial, the incident has shocked us,” he said.

Attempts to administer first aid and rush him to Migori Referral Hospital failed as he was pronounced dead on arrival.

Suna Central location chief Caleb Ombura, who is the deceased uncle said the incident was unfortunate and police will launch investigation after a post mortem report.

He said the body was taken to Migori Referral Hospital mortuary.