Cop in Oloo's murder detained for 14 days

Star journalist was found murdered in the house of chief inspector Sabina Kerubo of Ugunja police station on November 21

In Summary

Prosecutor says suspect should be in custody as they interrogate her juniors over the killing of journalist 

Chief Inspector Sabina Kerubo
DETAINED: Chief Inspector Sabina Kerubo


Sabina Kerubo, the policewoman in whose house Star journalist Eric Oloo was found murdered a fortnight ago has been detained for 14 pending investigations.

Oloo was found dead on November 21. Two brothers were arrested alongside Kerubo, her daughter and househelp following the murder. Oloo and Kerubo had been cohabiting for about a year.

On Monday, Kerubo was arraigned before Siaya principal magistrate James Ong'ondo.

Prosecutor Tracey Nambisia aksed the court that the suspect be detained for two weeks as police complete their investigations.

The court ordered that Kerubo be locked up at the Siaya DCIO's office pending investigations.

Nambisia said the suspect is a senior officer and is likely to interfere with the case. She said they needed to interrogate junior officers while Kerubo was in custody.

In an affidavit, investigating officer Joseph Kinuthia said he was conducting investigations into the murder offence for which Kerubo and other suspects have been accused.

Last week, Victor Luta and his brother Franklin Lutta were arraigned before the same court and detained for 11 days. The two brothers are said to have been in the house of Kerubo when Oloo was killed. They are accused of killing the 41-year-old journalist.

A postmortem report showed Oloo died from trauma caused by injury to his head and abdomen. Government pathologist Gabriel Juma said Oloo died as a result of excessive bleeding.

"The body had a blunt injury on the head and a severe hemorrhage intra-abdominally as a result of the blunt injury on the abdomen," Juma said.

Oloo was buried at their home in Nyasanda village in Ugunja on Saturday where Ugenya MP David Ochieng promised to ensure the family gets justice. He volunteered to become the family's lawyer.

Ochien'g said he had been monitoring how the police were handling the case and "it is like the police are geared to save one of their own."

Kerubo did not object to the prosecution's request to have her detained.


edited by p. obuya