ELOG urges IEBC, political parties as well as other stakeholders to address electoral malpractices such as violence, intimidation, voter bribery and violation of the secrecy of the vote
In all the polling stations visited by ELOG, gender parity was observed with both women and men working as polling officials.
- All the stations observed had fully functional KIEM kits deployed at the opening of the polls
- In all polling stations observed Candidates/Party agents present at the time of the opening of the polling stations.
- The IEBC had all the strategic items all the polling stations that ELOG observers visited.
- In all of the polling stations observed, ballot boxes were shown to be empty before being closed and sealed in readiness for the voting process to start.
- The presence of security personnel in the polling stations was visible in all the polling stations observed. 2. Voting and Closing
- All of the observed polling station had Kenya Integrated Election Management System (KIEMS) in place to identify voters during the voting process.
However, ELOG noted the failure of the KIEMS in Jamhuri Primary School, Olympic Primary School and Upper Hill Secondary but IEBC was able to resolve these and identification and voting processes proceeded without any delays.
- The secrecy of the ballot was generally not secured in the polling stations observed as the voting booths were placed facing agents and polling officials.
- In all of the polling stations observed, there was one (1) ballot box for all the position in contestation.
- ELOG observers noted that in all the stations visited, campaign posters were still left in very close proximity to the polling stations.
- In all the polling stations where there was still a queue after 5pm, all the voters were allowed to vote. 3. Closing and Counting
- The ballot boxes in all the polling stations observed had their seals intact before the counting began.
- No political party/Candidate agent requested for a recount of the ballot once the count was concluded in all the polling stations where ELOG was present.
- Party agent’s representatives present signed the declaration of results form in the stations observed.
- In all the polling stations observed, a copy of the results form was publicly fixed outside the polling station. Fact Checking & Verification Exercise- Debunking fake news.
Act of violence were observed in DC grounds as a result of confrontation between rival supporters.
ELOG notes that E-Day processes went well and were generally consistent with the laid down legal provisions as well global best practices.
ELOG urges IEBC, political parties as well as other stakeholders to address electoral malpractices such as violence, intimidation, voter bribery and violation of the secrecy of the vote. These incidences remain the major obstacle towards securing credible electoral processes in the country.