BLAME GAME

Sonko blames his rogue officers for Precious Talent tragedy

Sonko said his administration is ready to demolish buildings constructed without approvals.

In Summary

• Sonko said that he disbanded the entire Planning Committee which he said had been operating with impunity.

• Cabinet Secretary for Education Geroge Magoha said that the school will be closed until Monday next week to allow more investigations.

Nairobi governor Mike Sonko in a previous press briefing
Nairobi governor Mike Sonko in a previous press briefing
Image: EZEKIEL AMING'A

Nairobi Governor Mike Sonko has accused some of his officers of approving substandard buildings in the county.

Sonko said on Monday through a press statement that he had tried to epxose the corrupt officials in his office who have been flouting the Physical Planning Act and zoning regulations with impunity.

" Through the audit, I established that on more than one occasion, the rogue officers would switch off the digital system at City Hall to bypass the official channel in issuing building approvals," Sonko said.

The governor said that he suspended the County Chief Officer for Planning, Justus Kathenge last month, over irregular activities. 

Sonko said that he disbanded the Planning Committee which he said had been operating with impunity.

He said his administration is committed to demolishing any building in the city that was constructed or is under construction without proper approvals.

He also said the government will pursue the prosecution of any official who will be found culpable of violations that cost human lives and endanger many more lives. 

His remarks come after a tragedy at Precious Talent School in Dagoretti that left 64 pupils with injuries as seven lost their lives.

Cabinet Secretary for Education, Geroge Magoha, said that the school will be closed until Monday next week to allow more investigations.

Government Spokesperson Cyrus Oguna said that the government will settle medical fees for the admitted pupils.