• Lenolkulal was charged with four counts of abuse of office
• The High court reduced the bail amounts to Sh10m
Magistrate Douglas Ogoti hit the headlines after he slapped Samburu Governor Moses Lenolkulal with Sh100 million bail and an alternative Sh150 million bond terms in a graft case.
Lenolkulal was charged with four counts of abuse of office and conflict of interest leading to the loss of Sh84.6 million public funds. He denied the charges
Kenyans had varied views on the bail terms, with many saying the governor deserved to be slapped with tough bail terms.
On Wednesday, Lenolkulal, sought a review of the terms and the High Court reduced the amount to Sh10 million.
But just who is magistrate Ogoti?
Here are nine facts you should
- Ogoti loves swimming and does this during his free time.
- He is married with four children.
- Since he was placed at the helm of the anti-corruption division, he has introduced pre-trials and initiated plea bargain at the pre-trial stages.
- He views the work of a prosecutor as being easy as compared to that of a magistrate.
- Ogoti wants to be a judge in the future and is currently pursuing PhD in strategic management at JKUAT.
- He started working at the Judiciary in 2016. Prior to that he worked at the ODPP for almost 20 years as a prosecutor before he became a magistrate
- Ogoti has never been threatened or intimidated in his line of duty.
- He issued the bail terms because his training as a student of management information and communication in corruption cases demands that the courts speak loudest.
- Ogoti is an SDA church elder.
- He is committed to the war on graft and denied bail to 43 accused persons, including former PS Lilian Omollo, in the NYSII scandal.