PLEA FOR SUPPORT

Kenya Red Cross to launch appeal for drought victims

In Summary

• The Red Cross will seek the support of all Kenyans, partners and stakeholders in an effort to mitigate the effects of the drought.

• Deputy President William Ruto said Sh2 billion had been released to avert the situation.

A woman pictured fetching contaminated water in a shallow well in Kerio,Turkana Central.
A woman pictured fetching contaminated water in a shallow well in Kerio,Turkana Central.
Image: HESBORN ETYANG

The Secretary General, Dr. Abbas Gullet of Kenyan Red cross will on Thursday launch an urgent appeal for the support of the ongoing drought crisis in Kenya.

The Red Cross will seek the support of all Kenyans, partners and stakeholders in an effort to mitigate the effects of the drought.

While the current drought situation has left more than 1.1 million Kenyans hungry, the Red Cross says the number is likely to rise if there is no immediate intervention. 

The food security situation has deteriorated in Kenya following the below average 2018 October-December rains.

The delay in the 2019 March-May rains is expected to further impact the food security until July 2019.

On Monday, the national government said there was no cause for alarm over the drought which is alleged to have claimed over 20 lives.

Deputy President William Ruto said Sh2 billion had been released to avert the situation.

The government has however denied anyone had died due to drought but rather said diseases were to blame.