• CoG has asked National government to find a solution to the current drought situation
• Over 1.1 million Kenyans are starving
The Council of Governors has urged the national government to find a lasting solution to drought.
Chairman Wycliffe Oparanya on Wednesday said the national and county governments should work together to avert the situation that has left more than 1.1 million Kenyans facing starvation.
Oparanya, in a statement, said, “We must as the two levels of government and key partners, engage in long-term investments that will build community resilience in the wake of climate change."
Oparanya, who is also the Kakamega governor, said county governments are expected to be first responders.
He said so far, governors from the 13 counties which are worst-hit have provided water, food, animal feed and immunised children.
“We wish to assure Kenyans that the county governments have put in place aggressive measures to ensure that Kenyans access food and water during this period,” he said.
“Counties have distributed to the affected households a total of 11,740 bags of maize, 1,500 bags of beans and 8,896 bags of rice.”
Oparanya said affected county governments have mobilised for bowsers to distribute water to residents.
He said 290,518 bales of animal feed have been procured and distributed in the affected areas and 241,938 children immunized.
On Monday, the national government said there was no cause for alarm over the drought.
Deputy President William Ruto said Sh2 billion had been released to avert the situation.
The government denied anyone had died due to drought, but rather said disease was to blame.