Close

Schools which haven't registered students on Nemis won't get ministry cash - PS Belio

Basic Education PS Belio Kipsang at Ngong Township Primary School on Tuesday, January 22, 2019. /EMMANUEL WANJALA
Basic Education PS Belio Kipsang at Ngong Township Primary School on Tuesday, January 22, 2019. /EMMANUEL WANJALA

Public primary and secondary schools which have not captured details of their students on the national information system will not receive this term's allocation.

"We are not going to do any payments outside Nemis, so those schools that are yet to put details of their students on the system must ensure they do that to receive the funds," Basic Education PS Belio Kipsang said.

He spoke at Ngong Township Primary School on Tuesday during an exercise to monitor the competency based curriculum in practice.

Kipsang was accompanied by TSC CEO Nancy Macharia and Kajiado West subcounty director of Education Boru Kampicha.

Some 500 secondary schools are yet to capture details of their students on the National Education Management Information System (Nemis).

Kipsang said schools will receive this term's capitation by the end of the week.

The government has released Sh30 billion for secondary and Sh6 billion for primary schools, he said.

Kipsang said a one book per student ratio has been achieved in most schools during the distribution of textbooks.

A total of 12.5 million books have been distributed so far.

Kipsang said a new tender for supply of 13 million books will be floated soon towards the achievement of the envisioned 25 million target for public schools.

The PS further said the 100 per cent transition has 'theoretically' been achieved, only that the data received at the ministry currently stands at 83 per cent.

"What is happening is that schools are still registering students on Nemis even though the students are already in school. At Oloolaiser Highs School for example, the school has enrolled 240 students but only 24 are captured on Nemis," he said.

Macharia said 280,000 teachers have so far been trained on the competency based curriculum - enough for grades one through three.

She said more teachers and county education officials will be trained in readiness for the rollout for Grade Four next year.

Macharia also said Treasury has disbursed funds for hiring new teachers.

Read: