I will nominate a suitable deputy governor after consultations, Nairobi governor Mike Sonko has said.
Speaking during a presser on Friday, Sonko said the Nasa coalition had asked him to nominate Rahab Wangui.
"I was ready with the name, but I have received
a request from NASA that in the spirit of the handshake that I should consider Wangui for the position," he said.
"This is therefore to inform you that I shall not be forwarding
the deputy governor nominee that I had chosen. I will nominate a suitable deputy governor after consultations."
Wangui was the Wiper candidate for Woman Representative in the 2017 elections.
Sonko said he respects the handshake
and has to wait until he consults.
The nomination will be done in a maximum of three weeks, he said.
Saturday will mark one year since Nairobi Deputy Governor Polycarp Igathe resigned from office arguing that he had failed to earn the confidence of his boss - Govenor Mike Sonko.
Last week, Sonko
but there were indications that he would not do so today.
Early this week following the resignation of the last female Cabinet member, Janet Ouko, Sonko's style of leadership has been put on the spot.
Sonko Cabinet appointments
In Cabinet changes, the governor appointed
Lucia Mulwa (Education, Youth and Sports), Stella Bosire-Otieno (Health); Winfred Kathangu (Finance and Economics), Pauline Kahiga Waititu (Public Service) and Sanjeev Kaur (Education).
Others were Charles Kerich (Lands,Urban Planning and Housing), Allan Igambi (Trade tourism and cooperatives) and Larry Wambua (Water docket and Agriculture).
Sonko warned executives that they will be held accountable if they misuse county funds.
He said Nairobi could "enter the Guinness Book of Records" for misuse of funds and he will not sit back and watch as cash is misappropriated.