Eight people died after
Kandisi River in
Ongata Rongai burst as they crossed it on Thursday night.
The number rose from three, as reported last night, following the recovery of five more bodies on Friday.
A group of people had been crossing the river in Kajiado county when it burst.
Kajiado County Commissioner David Kipkemei said on Friday that a search for more bodies was on.
"There were reports that a child's body was seen in the water but it has not been found. Eight is the official number," he told reporters as police and volunteers combed the area.
"We will inform you of any developments."
Kipkemei said he instructed police to search for the contractor who designed and built Kandisi Bridge and take his statement on the “shoddy work”.
“He or she did not bother to put up rails. Lives would have been saved," he said.
Several houses along the river were swept by raging floodwaters but the number of people affected was unclear.
"A search is on. Whoever finds a body should alert officers at the nearest police station," he told residents and asked them to keep off flooded parts,
especially at night.