BE WARNED!

You'll be quarantined for 14 days for breaking curfew - MoH

All estates in Nairobi and Mombasa have recorded positive cases,

In Summary

• The government had earlier raised an alarm over people using different tricks to travel upcountry, one of the most audacious being a man who ferried an empty coffin to Homa Bay, only to test positive.

Health CAS Mercy Mwangangi during the daily briefing on Covid-19 at Afya House on Sunday, April 19, 2020.
Health CAS Mercy Mwangangi during the daily briefing on Covid-19 at Afya House on Sunday, April 19, 2020.
Image: EZEKIEL AMING'A

If you thought you could get away with breaking the dusk-to-dawn curfew by paying Sh1,000 and being let free, think again.

Things got a lot tougher as the government has now announced those found breaking the curfew will now be put under mandatory quarantine at their own cost.

Health CAS Mercy Mwangangi on Sunday said the government will no longer tolerate cases of Kenyans being found outside during curfew hours.

" All those who break the curfew rules will be assumed to have been in contact and will hence be taken to quarantine facilities for 14 days," she said.

 

"Nobody has the authority to clear anybody to move from Nairobi other than the Ministry of Health."

The government had earlier raised an alarm over people using different tricks to travel upcountry, one of the most audacious being a man who ferried an empty coffin to Homa Bay, only to test positive.

The driver used a private vehicle to transport eight people from Nairobi to Homa Bay, pretending the passengers were mourners.

Mwangangi said that two more deaths have been confirmed in the last 24 hours, raising the number to 14 deaths from the virus.

The CAS further announced that the country recorded eight more virus cases in the last 24 hours.

The cases tested in the country have reached 270.

 
 

She said that seven patients are Kenyans while one is a foreigner, but all of them have no travel history.

Out of eight, three cases emanated from the quarantine facilities while the other five were picked by the surveillance teams across the country.

The CAS said four cases were from Mombasa, three from Nairobi and one from Kajiado.

All the new cases are from people aged between 17-65 years.

The government also recorded encouraging news by discharging seven people after they tested negative, raising the number of recoveries in the country to 67.