• Governor says county and security personnel traced man's family and told them to self-quarantine.
• Doctor says they isolated man as a precautionary measure.
The Ministry of Health is still waiting for test results for a patient admitted in an isolation ward at Aga Khan Hospital in Kisumu after developing coronavirus-like symptoms.
The caucasian man who had come from the United Kingdom on March 7 was driven to the hospital on Tuesday around 6pm.
Governor Anyang' Nyong'o on Wednesday confirmed the patient is under quarantine.
“The specimen has been sent to Nairobi and we are waiting for the results."
Nyong'o noted that the county government and security personnel have traced the man's family and told them to self-quarantine.
Earlier, hospital medical director Patrick Eshiwani had confirmed to the media that the patient was admitted at the facility and was being monitored. He had been isolated as a precautionary measure.
The county government is setting up more isolation wards in Kombewa, Ahero, Muhoroni, Nyakach, Chulaimbo, Nyahera and Katito hospitals. It has three centres already set up.
“We continue to provide commodities and medical supplies to all public health facilities. We have established psychological support and trauma management centre at Jaramogi Oginga Odinga Teaching and Referal Hospital,” the governor said.
He noted that they have commenced training and capacity building of all community health workers.
They have also established a County Incident Command Centre at the Department of Health offices at Prosperity House.
“Government officers are conducting routine health talks and education in all health facilities as we continuance to conduct continuous capacity building and training for all health care workers including CHWs."
Edited by R.Wamochie