CALLS FOR SUPPORT

BBI will redeem counties from financial crisis – Ottichillo

Vihiga governor urges residents to fully rally behind reforms in the Building Bridges Initiative.

In Summary

• Counties are allocated 15 per cent of the national revenue, an amount he said is not enough to spur meaningful development in the regions.

• Ottichilo said on Thursday the larger Western region has been disadvantaged by being in the Opposition.

Governor Wilber Ottichillo with Interior CS Fred Matiang'i when the minister toured Vihiga in February
TETE A TETE: Governor Wilber Ottichillo with Interior CS Fred Matiang'i when the minister toured Vihiga in February
Image: MARTIN OMBIMA

Governor Wilber Ottichilo has urged Vihiga residents to rally behind the BBI reforms, saying it is the only way to help counties out of frequent financial crises they often face.

Ottichilo said on Thursday the larger Western region has been disadvantaged by being in the Opposition and that it was time to rally behind the government to attract development.

“Our projects cannot be allocated funds for them to be carried on, so it is time now for us to think about the development of the region and leave politics of individualism that will not help us,” Ottichilo said.

Counties are allocated 15 per cent of the national resources, an amount he said is not enough to spur meaningful development. Ottichilo termed the allocation a drop in the ocean. "It can't be of help at all."

The county chief said 80 per cent of what they are given goes to salaries, leaving the regional governments with only 20 per cent for development projects.

“With 20 per cent left, I have to divide it among the five subcounties, meaning each constituency gets four per cent. Now as a governor with four per cent, what can you do?

Ottichilo said MPs have better funding in the National Government–Constituency Development Fund (NG-CDF), which he said gets a bigger allocation that can help spur development on the ground.

“When I was an MP, I was able to perform much better from the NG-CDF kitty. I had enough resources than now as governor,” the former Emuhaya MP said.

Ottichilo said the current government is feeding Western people with remains because they never invested in the ruling Jubilee Party.

"Elders in the region must work closely with our top leaders to ensure we are in the next government come 2022 and that is the only way we can benefit our people," he said

 Ottichilo said since they joined the handshake, Vihiga county has received Sh250 million for the upgrade of Mbale municipal.

He said Luanda town, Kaimosi and Cheptulu will be upgraded to municipalities by the Ministry of Lands and Urban Planning, courtesy of the county's continued support for the handshake.

 

Edited by P.O