SATURDAY INCIDENT

17 people treated after eating contaminated meat in Baringo

Samples have been taken for testing to ascertain the real cause of the possible food poisoning

In Summary

• They complained of diarrhoea, headache, vomiting and heartburns

• They were all treated Kimalel health centre and discharged

A woman among 17 admitted to Kimalel Health Centre, Baringo South after consuming meat of dead cow on Saturday.
A woman among 17 admitted to Kimalel Health Centre, Baringo South after consuming meat of dead cow on Saturday.
Image: JOSEPH KANGOGO
A woman among 17 admitted to Kimalel Health Centre, Baringo South, after consuming meat of dead cow on Saturday.
A woman among 17 admitted to Kimalel Health Centre, Baringo South, after consuming meat of dead cow on Saturday.
Image: JOSEPH KANGOGO

Seventeen people, most of them women and children, were hospitalised in Baringo after eating contaminated meat. 

The patients had symptoms ranging from diarrhoea, headache, vomiting to heartburn. 

The incident occurred in Water Pan village near Chepkoriande in Kimalel, Baringo South, on Tuesday.

Kimalel assistant chief Egla Chebii said they ate meat from a sickly cow that died on Saturday.

"They were rushed to the nearby Kimalel health centre on Tuesday," Chebii said on Wednesday.

She said it was not clear whether the cow was slaughtered or it had died and was then cut up for meat. 

Chebii warned residents against eating uninspected meat. She has notified the public health officials about the incident to make a follow-up.

She said all the patients were among the thousands of victims of bandit attacks that fled their homes in Arabal in Baringo South.

"They are now living here as squatters and they don't have farms to cultivate. They don't have food so hunger pushes them always to consume anything that is available," Chebii said. 

Kimoi Chelugo, 65, said she developed abdominal pain, body weakness, sweating and vomiting, with sharp headache before finding herself in the hospital bed. 

County director of medical services Dr Maasai Shapaya said all the patients have been treated in the facility and discharged.

"There is no cause for alarm but we shall still monitor their health conditions while at home," Shapaya said.

He said samples have been taken for testing to ascertain the real cause of the possible food poisoning.

Governor Stanley Kiptis paid a visit to the facility where he wished the victims a quick recovery.

He called upon the national government and well-wishers to donate foodstuff to feed victims of banditry and floods. 

 

(edited by o. owino)