FIRE RAZED TIMBER UNIT

Three lumberers burnt to death in Narok inferno

Fire suspected to have been sparked by a lit cigarette butt and petrol in the house

In Summary

• The deceased were identified as Anyona Ongechi, Riogi Nyabuto and Job Anyona all from the neighbouring Kisii County villages of Kiango and Riyabu.

• The bodies were moved to Nyamache Hospital Mortuary in Bobasi for a postmortem.

Three people were burnt to death on Saturday at Osubugo area, Transmara West, Narok County after a fire razed the timber unit they had been putting up.
Three people were burnt to death on Saturday at Osubugo area, Transmara West, Narok County after a fire razed the timber unit they had been putting up.
Image: THE STAR

Three people were burnt to death on Saturday at Osubugo area, Transmara West, Narok County after a fire razed the timber unit they had been putting up.

The three - all men - were lumberers.

Sub-County police chief James Kilonzo said they suspect the fire was sparked by a lit cigarette butt and petrol in the house spread it fast killing them as they slept.

 

"When we arrived two of the lumberers had already succumbed. The third victim was rescued from the raging flames by residents but died as preparations were underway to take him to hospital," said Kilonzo.

He said there was petrol and a power saw in the house they three were staying in.

" With the petrol inside the timber unit, the fire quickly spread reducing everything into ash,"stated Kilonzo.

What was left after the house in which three people were burnt to death Saturday as they slept at Osugubo in Transmara West, Narok County.
What was left after the house in which three people were burnt to death Saturday as they slept at Osugubo in Transmara West, Narok County.
Image: MAGATI OBEBO

The deceased were identified as Anyona Ongechi, Riogi Nyabuto and Job Anyona all from the neighbouring Kisii County villages of Kiango and Riyabu.

Kilonzo told the Star they have started investigations into the incident.

The bodies were moved to Nyamache Hospital Mortuary in Bobasi for a postmortem.

Bokimonge Ward Rep Amos Onderi whose two Ward residents died in the fire called for investigations.

 

"We want extensive investigations for justice', s so that all doubts of possible murder are removed," he said.