• Flower farmers incurred millions in losses as the demonstrators demanded rehabilitation of the road.
• Police engaged used teargas to disperse them.
Over 5,000 flower farms and Kengen workers in Naivasha failed to report to duty for the second day yesterday after Moi South Lake Road was blocked by protestors.
Flower farmers incurred millions in losses as the demonstrators demanded rehabilitation of the road. Police engaged used teargas to disperse them.
The government has now announced that a contractor would be on site by October 15 to rehabilitate the key road.
Naivasha subcounty commissioner Mathioya Mbogo admitted that the protest had disrupted business in the town, but the situation had since been contained.
“We are yet to speak to individual farmers and hoteliers over losses incurred but the closure of the road affected the flow of traffic for hours,” he said.
Speaking in his office, Mbogo said that the contractor would start rehabilitation works in three weeks after the tendering process was complete.
“The road had been blocked on several locations but we have managed to address the demonstrators and assured them that the contractor will be on site by October 15,” he said.
The Kenya Plantations and Agricultural Workers Union Naivasha branch official Ferdinand Juma said operations in the farms along the road were disrupted.
He said that on Monday less than 10 per cent of workers reported for duty due to the strike while on Tuesday the majority of the workers reported after midday.
“Flower farmers have gone into huge losses due to the strike but we blame the national government for neglecting this road,” he said.
Juma added that farmers and other motorists were incurring daily losses due to the state of the road.
“Though operations in farms along the road have been affected the strike was long overdue as the government has forgotten this road,” he said.
Crayfish Hotel CEO Peter Mehta said that visitors had kept off the road due to the chaos witnessed.
“We fully support the demonstration over the condition of this road but we have also been left suffering as no one can access hotels,” he said.
Nakuru Governor Lee Kinyanjui in a statement criticised the national government for the current crisis.
He said that they had raised the issue with the national government on several occasions but no action had been taken for two years.
“We are also disappointed by the current status of this road that serves major capital investments and it falls under the national government,” he said.
(edited by O. Owino)