• Students spent the night in the cold on Sunday
More than 75 students at Osingo Mixed Secondary School in Migori county were forced to spend Sunday night in the cold after fire razed a dormitory.
Fire started at the dorm on Sunday dawn and quickly spread before completely gutting a boys’ dormitory.
Deputy principal Jack Okello said they suspected the cause of the fire to be arson, and that the school lost property worth millions.
“We have so far lost all property belonging to the boys, but we didn’t have any casualty. On Sunday, the students spent the night in the cold,” he said.
He said on Sunday night, they had to look for an empty classroom for the students to spend the night in.
They, however, decided not to send students home over the incident and will continue to have them in school.
“We are keen to have them in school because this term is short and we have national examinations, we are vigilant though,” he said.
He was speaking at the school on Sunday when he received 75 blankets and toiletries donation from Job Tambo, a South African-based lawyer and businessman.
“We decided to come in and help through the donation because this term is short and we wish for the students to continue to be in the institution,” Doris Majuma, who represented Tambo, said.
She said they hope other well-wishers will come through for the institution, which is still young and has been helping members of the Osingo community.