• Health chief officer Kevin Osuri said the death could have been avoided if the child was taken to hospital at the right time.
• Osuri said traders operating eateries, especially in Sindo, have been directed to shut down their businesses until the disease is eliminated.
A seven-year-old girl has died after a cholera outbreak in Homa Bay as more people continue to contract the disease.
Records show Janet Achieng from Wadiang’a main beach in Kaksingri West ward died on arrival at Suba Subcounty Hospital.
Health chief officer Kevin Osuri said the death could have been avoided if the child was taken to hospital at the right time.
“The girl arrived at the hospital when she was already overwhelmed by the disease. The girl had diarrhoea and was vomiting, which are signs of cholera," Osuri said.
Speaking to journalists on Tuesday, Osuri said the number of people who have contracted the disease has reached 73.
He said the county government is collaborating with other health organisations to contain the disease.
Cholera outbreak in Homa Bay was announced on Saturday after 25 people contracted the disease in Sindo town market, Wadiang’a main beach, in Suba South constituency.
By Sunday, 36 cases were reported and now 73 people have the disease.
Osuri assured residents that health officials are working around the clock to ensure the rate of infection is brought under control.
Most cases were reported in Sindo town market, with majority of patients being fisher folk from Wadiang’a beach.
The health department has issued directives to residents as a measure of preventing further spread.
“Through public health, we have suspended catering services in funerals and other events. This will ensure we reduce the spread,” he added.
Osuri said traders operating eateries, especially in Sindo, have been directed to shut down their businesses until the disease is eliminated.
Medical officers are also on the ground doing civic education. They basically tell residents some of the best ways of avoid the disease.
Among teams engaged in community sensitisation is the Kenya Red Cross.
County coordinator Samuel Omondi said his team is educating residents on what to look out for in people suspected to have contracted cholera.
“We’re hoping that the collaboration will help us fight the disease,” he said.
Omondi said Kenya Red Cross officials are also disinfecting homes where patients come from.
“We’re giving out chlorine and other chemicals for water treatment. This is in a bid to ensure residents consume safe water,” he said.