FIRE

Two children burnt to death in Ndhiwa inferno

It is reported that the gas cylinder exploded due to loose valve.

In Summary

•Ndhiwa Sub-county Police Commander Paul Rioba said the grandmother did not realise that her gas was leaking.

•The grandmother has been staying alone but she frequently gets visited by the grandchildren.  The children are aged five and three.

The house where the children body were charred in fire in Ligodho ,Ndhiwa on May7,2022
The house where the children body were charred in fire in Ligodho ,Ndhiwa on May7,2022
Image: ROBERT OMOLLO

Two children from the same family died after a gas exploded in their house at Ligodho village in Ndhiwa constituency on Friday night.

The children were with their grandmother when the house caught fire before charring the minors.

It is reported that the gas cylinder exploded due to loose valve.

The grandmother is said to have refilled the six kilograms gas cylinder at a local trading centre. They burnt beyond recognition.

After delivering it home, she decided to prepare evening meal using a jiko as the gas was put on the side.

Ndhiwa Sub-county Police Commander Paul Rioba said the grandmother did not realise that her gas was leaking.

The grandmother has been staying alone but she frequently gets visited by the grandchildren.  The children are aged five and three.

Some remains of household items where fired burnt and killed children in Ndhiwa on May 7,2022
Some remains of household items where fired burnt and killed children in Ndhiwa on May 7,2022
Image: ROBERT OMOLLO

“Their mother left her house but took the children to their grandmother to take care. The incident occurred when the grandma was preparing food,” Rioba said.

Rioba said their preliminary investigations have established that the gas exploded after it attracted fire from the jiko. 

The police officer said the old woman managed to run out after the explosion leaving the two children behind.

“She tried to return and pick the children but she was however overpowered by the fire in the house,” he said.

Their burned bodies were found underneath a table where they were hiding.

Rioba described the death as unfortunate but appealed to residents to always be careful when dealing with gas cylinders.

“Let’s be careful when handling gas cylinders to avoid a repeat of such accidents,” he added.

WATCH: The latest videos from the Star