Two secondary schools — out of eight that had their national examination results withheld — have received them.
Sigiria Mixed in Rongo subcounty and Komotobo Mixed in Kuria East received their results on Wednesday ending anxiety for parents and candidates.
“Withholding results was to pave way for the government to investigate centers,” Rongo District Education Officer Charles Nyaribo said.
The best out of 119 candidates had B+. Those who scored C+ and above numbered 49 and qualified for public universities.
Only one candidate did not sit the examination.
They had a mean score of 6.33 compared to last year when they had a mean of 4.39 and only sent eight students to public universities.
“We are elated by the results. Last year I had promised the school the constituency development kitty will help them acquire a bus. The promise is on course.Congratulations to the school,” Rongo MP Paul Abuor said.
In Kuria East, Komotobo Mixed also received their results. Details could not be confirmed by press time.
County education officer Luca Kangogo said apart from the two, six other schools also had their results withheld.
They were Nyabisawa Girls’ School (Suna East) and three others from Nyatike subcounty: Kibuon, Lwanda Magwar, and Ageng’a Mixed in Nyatike constituency.Others were Nyankore Mixed Secondary in Kuria West subcounty and and Isaya Munde Secondary in Uriri constituency.
Education CS Amina Mohamed said the government had withheld results exam centres over suspected irregularities, which are under investigation by the examination council.
“These centres will be notified of the decision as soon as the results are released. In the meantime, KNEC will finalise investigations into suspected malpractices and release a report on or before January 31,” the CS said during the release of the 2018 test.
She did not, however, indicate how many schools are affected and from which regions.
At least 100 students had their results cancelled.