Skip to main content
September 25, 2018

Inferior Bomet bridge to be demolished after public outcry

A bridge connecting Chepkositonik and Sugutek in Bomet East said to have been constructed with Sh8.4 million. The bridge was the source of protests last week by some residents who claimed the funds meant for it was much high compared to the work done by the contractor something the county executive member for roads Philip Sowek has defended saying they are pleased with how the work was done./Felix Kipkemoi.
A bridge connecting Chepkositonik and Sugutek in Bomet East said to have been constructed with Sh8.4 million. The bridge was the source of protests last week by some residents who claimed the funds meant for it was much high compared to the work done by the contractor something the county executive member for roads Philip Sowek has defended saying they are pleased with how the work was done./Felix Kipkemoi.

A Bomet bridge constructed for Sh8.4 million, and which has been the cause of a heated debate among residents over its standards, will now be demolished.

County Roads executive Philip Sawek yesterday said the contractor did a shoddy job.

"We are yet to pay the contractor as has been claimed or reported. We are not paying them because they never did what was expected of them," Sawek said.

The decision to demolish the Chepkositonik bridge in Bomet East, he said, was as a result of tests conducted which indicated the contractor used substandard materials.

The bridge is four metres wide instead of the recommended nine metres. Sawek said he has written to Tripple Tie Construction Company to demolish the bridge.

Click here for the latest political news

 

Poll of the day