Seven hundred Garissa university first-year regular students from across the country started reporting yesterday.
They are the third group to be admitted since al Shabaab attacked the university at dawn on April 2, 2015. The terrorists killed 148 people, most of them students.
The first group numbered slightly more than 350 admissions. Last year a similar number reported, but this year’s admission is double.
Addressing the press in his office, VC Ahmed Warfa thanked the government, county leaders and the community for supporting the institution’s recovery from the attack.
"Most of the recommendations put forward by the security agencies that allowed us to reopen have been accomplished. They include a perimeter wall," Prof Warfa said.
"There is a police post within the institution and night police patrols. We want the students to feel safe and study in a secure environment."
Adam Salim from Kwale county brought his son to enrol. He said he was skeptical about the security following the terror attack.
"I am relieved to see the security arrangements put in place to secure the students and staff. The environment is good and I am confident my son will complete his education."
His son Ramadhan Salim said he was nervous and unsure of the security until he arrived.
Last week, The Star reported that the university risks being shut down if the government does not intervene to pay workers and suppliers.
The university owes about Sh84 million to suppliers and service providers. A Sh10 million annual budget for police allowances is eating into dwindling university funds.