There have been heavy rains lately in many parts of the country and some incidences of floods. These cause a huge inconvenience and perhaps, much of that because people do not know what to do in those situations.
As the rains are still on, there is a likelihood of heavy rains affecting your area. You are advised to watch out for flash floods (defined as the sudden local flood, typically due to heavy rain).
Here are things to do:
- Evacuate immediately to elevated areas in case of flooding
- Avoid walking or driving through flood waters
- Do not drive over a bridge that is flooded
- Caution: Just six (6) inches of moving water can knock you down
- Caution: Just one (1) foot of moving water can sweep your vehicle away
- In a flooded area, use a stick to test depth
- Avoid parking or activities along streams, rivers during heavy rainfall
- Avoid downed power-lines and muddy waters where power-lines may have fallen
- Listen to designated radio or TV stations to stay updated on the rains and flooded areas
- Switch off electricity at the main switch if house is flooded
These are tips to stay safe. In case of emergency, you can get in touch with The Kenya Red cross on their hotline number 1199 or on the mobile number 07000 395395
Share this information. It may help somebody.