Busia residents have strongly opposed the allocation of Sh50 million for the construction of county headquarters.
David Adongo and Alphonse Otiato on Monday demanded that the cash be diverted to other projects.
They said Governor Sospeter Ojaamong's administration has always allocated cash for the construction of its headquarters yet the development was yet to start.
"Money has always been set aside for this project [county headquarters] every financial year yet the construction has not even started. Where is that cash?" Adongo said.
He spoke during a budget presentation at Port Victoria Social Hall in Budalang'i. Residents roared in support as Adongo questioned the use of previously allocated funds.
They also demanded that the procurement department be devolved to the sub-counties.
Chakol North MCA Julius Etyang led the budget presentation. Etyang, also a member of the budget committee, called for the prudent use of Sh25 million allocated to each of the 35 wards for development.
He said residents had complained of white elephant projects.
"I want to urge my colleagues to identify at least three viable projects that they will adequately fund and complete. Starting many projects which you won't complete makes no sense," Etyang said.