Skip to main content
December 19, 2018

Fishy story about attack on home of Nairobi regional chief

Nairobi regional coordinator Kangethe Thuku /FILE
Nairobi regional coordinator Kangethe Thuku /FILE

Questions have emerged following yesterday’s reported attack on the home of Nairobi regional coordinator Kangethe Thuku.

Four thugs raided the home at 4am and stole an AK-47 from an AP officer manning the gate. The gangsters reportedly hit the officer with a crowbar. He sustained injuries on the head. It is believed Thuku was at home at the time.

Senior police commanders and their colleagues from the Flying Squad and Special Crime Prevention Unit were called to the scene shortly after 4am.

Related: Five arrested for CBD robberies as Sonko forms anti-mugging squad

The attackers entered the home through a hole drilled into and under the stone wall that surrounded the home, according to the AP officer. Detectives suspect foul play.

Sources familiar with investigations told the Star the AP’s statement did not add up. The officer was alone during the attack, making it difficult to corroborate his claims.

A colleague, who was supposed to be on guard at the time, had excused himself and gone to bed. He showed up shortly after 4.30am when police had arrived and commenced investigations.

Also read: Four robbers arrested during break-in at Kileleshwa

A source said the hole supposedly used by the thugs was too tiny for a human to pass through.

Detectives also said it was impossible the criminals used crude weapons to drill the wall without the AP hearing.

Another group of eight AP officers, who live in the neighbourhood, told police that they did not hear the criminals break the wall.

The AP also shocked investigators by confessing he did not raise the alarm during the attack.

Nairobi Directorate of Criminal Investigations chief Ireri Kamwende declined to comment on the queries. He said detectives were investigating the attack.


Click here for the latest political news

Poll of the day